Department of Post Graduate Studies in Mass Communication and Journalism
SDM College (Autonomous) Ujire – 574240, D.K. Karnataka
[Re-Accredited ‘A’ Grade with CGPA 3.59 by NAAC]
National Seminar on
“Social Networking Media: Boon or Bane?”
In Association With
Karnataka Madyama Academy
March 7th & 8th, 2014
Venue: College Seminar Hall
Sri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara College is an autonomous college under Mangalore University managed by SDME Society. The institution is guided by the visionary leadership of Padmabhushan Dr. D.Veerendra Heggade, Dharmadhikari of Shri Kshethra Dharmasthala. The college is identified as "College with Potential for Excellence.”
SDM College offers 23 graduate and 11 post graduate programmes. The college granted Autonomous status by UGC, and is also Re-Accredited by NAAC at ‘A’ Grade with CGPA 3.59 out of 4. Being the recipient of various awards from different quarters, SDM College has marked its presence in the domain of higher
The department with an objective to facilitate the academic interaction with media experts and various media practitioners to provide exposure to media world is organizing a National Seminar on “Social Networking Media: Boon or Bane?”
“Social Networking Media: Boon or Bane?”
Ø Traditional v/s New Media
Ø Teenager’s v/s Social Media
Ø Public Affairs and Social Media
Ø Cyber Crime and Social Media
Ø Social Media and Ethics
Ø Social Media: Fifth Estate?
Ø Social Media and Development
Ø Social Media and Politics/Government
Ø Social Media and Entertainment
Ø Social Media and Social Change
Ø Social Media and Science
The two day conference facilitates media professionals, research scholars, academicians and students from the field of media and mass communication. It will provide an open platform to critically analyze the interface between social media and society.
Call for papers:
We invite papers from participants and the thrust of papers should conform to the main theme and sub themes.
- The paper shall be neatly typed in 1.5 spaces in M.S Word using 12 font sizes in Times New Roman font type.
- Participants who wish to present paper related to any one of the sub-themes are required to send an abstract of not more than 150 words on or before January 30th 2014.
- The selected papers will be confirmed by February 2nd 2014.
· Last Date for submission of Abstract and Full Paper for the publication with ISBN No. is on: 15-02-2014
· The Hard Copy of the Abstract and Full Paper along with the Demand Draft should reach on or before 20th February, 2014.
- Paper must be original in nature; the author has to duly acknowledge the sources in the foot note.
- Paper can also be conceptual, analytical, case studies or empirical in nature.
- In case of joint authors, one of the authors will be eligible to present the paper and co-authors should also register.
- The paper presentation will be in the PowerPoint presentation format and open discussion.
- The time limit for presentation of paper will be intimated at the seminar venue.
- Abstracts and full paper should be sent to email@example.com.
· The first page should have the title of the paper and name(s) of author(s) with institutional affiliation and email id and mobile number. The second page should start with the title of the paper, followed by text. Name(s) of author(s) should not appear anywhere in the text.
· The length of the paper including tables, diagrams, illustrations, etc should not exceed 1500 words.
· The type script should be accompanied by an abstract in about 150 words along with a declaration that the paper has not been published or sent for publication elsewhere.
· The style of referencing should be as per APA 6th edition.
· All contributors will be subjected to blind peer review. The decision of the advisory committee will be final.
· Academicians, Professionals, Journalists, Students and Research Scholars can apply for the registration.
Competitions for Students
- Short Movie
Theme: Social Media
- Maximum one from one college.
- Maximum duration 15 minutes.
- Film on any language, English subtitle is mandatory.
- Two DVDs must reach on or before February 20th, 2014 to the department.
- Group Competition:
Only 2 members in a team, Time: 30 Min.
- Newspaper Preparation (Pagination)
Only 2 members in a Team, Time: 1.30 Hours, Page – 1, Size: A3, Black and White
- Individual Competitions:
- TV News Anchoring
1 member from one college, Time: 3 Minutes. Script and Recording facility will be provided.
- Piece to Camera (P to C)
1 member from one college, Time: 1 Minute.
- Feature Writing
One member from one college, Time: 30 minutes.
- Report Writing
One member from one college, Time: 20 minutes.
- Topics for the above Competitions will be given on spot except short movie.
- Team should bring all the required materials.
- Registration fee for professionals/Academicians, Research Scholars and Paper Presenters – Rs. 750. For student participants registration fee Rs. 300.
- All the paper presenters after their payment their articles will be published whether they able to be present in the seminar or not.
- For registration: - Demand Draft to be drawn in favor of “The Principal, SDM College, payable at Ujire and send to Organizing Secretary, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, Shri Dharmasthala Manjunatesheshwara College, Ujire, D.K. District, Karnataka – 574240
· DD should contain covering letter of your address.
- Registration fee includes boarding and lodging (For accommodation kindly intimate on or before 25th February, 2014)
- Last date for registration is 20th Feb.2014.
- For more registration form use photocopy or download from the website www.sdmujire.in
For More Information Contact
Prof. Bhaskar Hedge
Department of Mass Communication and Journalism,
Shri Dharmasthala Manjunatesheshwara College, Ujire,
D.K. District, Karnataka – 574240
Telephone No (O) 08256-236101
Fax: 08256-236220, Mobile No: 9448911926
We look forward to your favorable reply at the earliest.
SDM College, Ujire is located 65 km from Mangalore, towards famous temple town Dharmasthala good number of state busses ply from different part of the state. Nearest railway station is Mangalore. For those who come from Bangalore, Bantwal near B.C. Road is Nearest Railway Station.