Wednesday 21 September 2022

NAAC expects colleges, departments, and universities to buy books, and also publish books, chapters

 Dear Colleagues,

I had on Jun 7, 2019, urged my colleagues to buy books when I realised that HoDs do not place orders with publishers although the universities, and colleges, have now made a substantial budget available for the purpose. 
I recently spoke to some HoDs and teachers in the country to point out that the NAAC will also expect the colleges, departments, and universities to provide quality books to the students and teachers. 
The NAAC will expect the faculty to publish their books and book chapters.
In my post of 
Jun 7, 2019, I urged our colleagues to make it a point to buy their own copies now that the teachers get better salaries as compared to pay packets until in the recent past.
I now plan to compile a list of journalism and communication books to help the HoDs and faculty, (title of the book, and link to the publishers/online or offline.  on the lines of my earlier post such as https://mediasceneindia.blogspot.com/2015/01/new-book-news-agency-journalism-dr.html.
Kiran Thakur 
21092022
0
Also read the post pf Jun 7, 2019, pasted below:
Have you realised that a good number of books for journalism students and teachers are being published now? These are books authored by Indians, published by Indian publishers, and are modestly priced. I have published lists of these titles in my blog from time to time hoping that the faculty may place orders for these books. Amazon, Book Ganga and other online bookshops also carry ads about the textbooks and academic books. Unless you buy, how do you expect the authors, publishers, teachers and students will benefit?

 I did a quick reality check and realised that many heads of departments have not purchased several important books although there are no budgetary constraints in private or public universities and colleges. I spoke to several full-time, confirmed assistant, associate or senior professors drawing pay-commission approved salaries. There are adjuncts, part-time, and visiting teachers who have not purchased any new books for the last several years. They did not have a list of books that could be useful to their students and colleagues.

I wish to draw your attention to some good books as follows: 

One such book is Harvesting hope in the Suicide Zone authored by  Award Winning Pune-based Journalist Dr Radheshyam Jadhav and published 
recently by Bloomsbury (Price Rs. 399.00) in December 2018. I inquired with a dozen journalists and journalism faculty in Pune. They have not heard about this book. I strongly recommend this to print journalism and development communication teachers and students.

I am impressed with the contents and quality of books authored by young journalist-turned-journalism faculty who have recently brought out Marathi titles. I am confident that these books will be useful to teachers and students of media schools in Maharashtra. Digital Patrakarita (by Vishwanath Anant Garud, publishers Ga Ma Bha Na Prakashan, Rs 150.oo) and Social Media (by Yogesh Borate, Atharva Publications, Rs. 150.00) are important and useful for the teachers and students in the cities and towns in Maharashtra.

I have found Prof Sanjay Ranade’s Marathi books 
माध्यम अभ्यासातील प्रमुख संकल्पना (Terms and Concepts in Medi, Rs. 200.00)  and   माध्यम अभ्यास व माध्यम समीक्षा (Both published by Diamond Publications, Rs. 200.00) very important for Marathi students who find it difficult to understand the theories.

Dr Hema Herlekar’s The Essential Art of Communication (Unicorn Books, Rs. 196) is another interesting book about modern communication principles with practical, down-to-earth tips’

I have refrained from recommending my own book, Newspaper English, (Vishwakarma Publications, for obvious reasons).

More books later.

Do you have books to recommend?

Please write to me for publishing in this blogpost: drkiranthakur@gmail.com
Kiran Thakur

No comments: