Wednesday 9 January 2019

Book Newspaper English launched

I am delighted to inform you that my book Newspaper English was launched on January six. I am happy because it is an outcome of experience in my news reporting, teaching, and seven- year research. The 172-page book is priced at Rs. 225.00 and is available online athttps://amzn.to/2SxVLf4.

The launch offered me an opportunity to share some points of interest to my peers in journalism and media education and communication research. But first about the launch:
The book was launched in the presence of UGC Vice Chairman, Prof Dr Bhushan Patwardhan, Mr Abhay Vaidya, the editor of Pune Edition of The Hindustan Times, Dr Virender Sharma, the Registrar of Pune's FLAME University. 
Prof Patwardhan spoke about the study on Language of English Newspapers that I undertook with funding from UGC. The UGC had granted me the fund for a Major Research Project after my retirement in 2010. The fund had helped me in data collection for two years in major cities in six states till 2012. I continued the study even after the project period was over. The outcome of the study helped me write the book.  
He appreciated the book for its theme for journalism students and journalists on how to write simple, plain, and brief. 'Prof Thakur has provided us in UGC a model for research projects fundings that can be useful for the society,' he said.
Thakur's is a case to demonstrate that a professor can take up a useful study even after the age of 70 years. Prof Patwardhan said the UGC has appointed a committee to evolve guidelines for research funds. The guidelines will be useful to revive the Major Research Projects scheme that has not been in force for some time now.

--

About the book and the author:

http://mediasceneindia.blogspot.com/2019/01/book-newspaper-english-launch-on-sunday.html 



--

No comments: